PO Box 400126
Department of Religious Studies
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4126
- Bachelor of Arts (BA), The Australian National University
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), University of Melbourne
I work primarily between the worlds of Philosophy and Theology, and also in the field of Religion and Literature. I am currently editing Jean-Luc Marion: The Essential Works for Fordham UP. I am also in the process of revising essays to be included in two collections: one that is provisionally entitled The Iconic Moment: Poetry and Christianity, and another with the working title From the French: Essays on French Philosophy and Theology. My main project is The Phenomenology of the Christ. I co-edit the book series “Thresholds: Philosophy and Theology” for Notre Dame UP; I serve on the Comité Scientifique d’Oeuvres d’Emmanuel Lévinas (Grasset), and sit on the editorial boards of Cahiers Blanchot, Christianity and Literature, Expositions, Faith and Philosophy, Journal of Cultural and Religious Theory, and New Literary History.
In the undergraduate program I offer courses on modern theology, mysticism, theology and poetry, and a lecture course that introduces students to the study of Christian theology. In the graduate program I offer courses on phenomenology and theology, on Trinity, and on theology and poetry.
- Clandestine Encounters: Philosophy in the Narratives of Maurice Blanchot (Notre Dame UP, 2010, forthcoming)
- The Exorbitant: Emmanuel Levinas between Jews and Christians, co-edited with Michael A. Signer (Fordham UP, 2010, forthcoming)
- Counter-Experiences: Reading Jean-Luc Marion (Notre Dame UP, 2007)
- The Experience of God, co-edited with Barbara Wall (Fordham UP, 2005)
- The Power of Contestation: Perspectives on Maurice Blanchot, co-edited with Geoffrey Hartman (Johns Hopkins UP, 2005)
- The Dark Gaze: Maurice Blanchot and the Sacred (Chicago UP, 2004)
- Derrida and Religion: Other Testaments, co-edited with Yvonne Sherwood (Routledge, 2004)
- Postmodernism: A Beginner’s Guide (Oneworld, 2004)
- Samuel Johnson and the Culture of Property (Cambridge UP, 1999)
- The Oxford Book of Australian Religious Verse (Oxford UP, 1994)
- A. D. Hope (Oxford UP, 1992)
- The Trespass of the Sign: Deconstruction, Theology, and Philosophy (Cambridge UP, 1989)
Recent Chapters and Articles
- “Bonhoeffer’s ‘Religious Clothes’: The Naked Man, the Secret, and What We Hear,” Bonhoeffer and Continental Thought: Cruciform Philosophy, ed. Brian Gregory and Jens Zimmermann (Indiana University Press, 2009), 177-97.
- “Without World: The Eschatology of Michel Henry,” Phenomenology and Eschatology: Not Yet in the Now, ed. Neal DeRoo and John Panteleimon Manoussakis (Farnham: Ashgate, 2009), 167-92.
- “Transcendence in Tears,” Gazing Through a Prim Darkly, ed. Keith Putt (New York: Fordham University Press, 2009), 116-38.
- “The Unbloody Sacrifice,” Archivo di Filosophia, 76: 1-2 (2008), 189-97.
- “The Liturgical Reduction,” Josephinum Journal of Theology, 15: 1 (2008), 41-66.
- ‘“it / is true,”’ Studia Phaenomenologica, 8 (2008), 219-39.
Current Research Projects
H.B. Earhart Fellowship - Carrie F. Frost
- Project Sponsored By: Earhart Foundation
- 08/01/2010 - 05/31/2011
- Award Amount: $30,270.00